FORSKOLIN: Does it really work? Are you searching for the most complete, up-to-date, and accurate review on this latest weight-loss supplement miracle? Look no further!
Forskolin is making quite a stir these days as the latest successful natural weight loss supplement. The famous Dr. Oz recently praised it on his Dr. Oz Show, pushing this all-the-rage herbal slimming pill into the dieting spotlight.
Forskolin may be the perfect new fit for those dieting or exercising to lose weight. It could potentially even be an out-performer of Garcinia Cambogia.
Still, hype around a supplement can make you miss out on some vital facts and research. As with any new and popular diet supplement, Forskolin begs a skeptic eye and a closer look at the REAL facts.
More than anything, you’d want something safe, reliable, and supported by studies and reviews before adding it to your weight loss routine – wouldn’t you?
So many of us deserve a little something extra to give us that weight loss boost, including you. After all, weight loss can feel like an uphill battle for so many. Making the numbers drop on the scale sometimes requires more than diet and exercise. Forskolin could very well be what you’re looking for! With that said, what does Dr. Oz’s latest approval of Forskolin REALLY mean for you and your health? Is it safe, effective, and does it deliver its promise?
You can bet that if Dr. Oz puts his stamp of approval on the latest weight-loss trend, people will swarm the shelves to experience its benefits for themselves. The constant buzz can only reassure you that Forskolin means good things, especially for you and your hard-earned weight-loss goals. But if you’re a cautious consumer, you’ll want to ensure you get the “skinny” on this dieting pill (no pun intended)!
In this article, we’ve gathered every bit of important information on this miraculous supplement all in one place, so you have no doubts, worries, or concerns about its benefits and effects!
Let’s look at Forskolin’s biggest benefits, side effects, the best brands to consider, and how well it performs compared to the Garcinia Cambogia, the previous weight loss supplement of the hour before Forskolin arrived on the weight loss supplement scene! That way, together we can get to the bottom of whether YOU should consider Forskolin.
IN SUMMARY, Here Is What You’ll Discover in This Article (Click any of the links below to jump to each section):
- Forskolin: How does it work?
- Forskolin’s Benefits
- Side Effects and Interactions
- Comparison of Forskolin vs. Garcinia Cambogia
- Where to Buy Forskolin For Weight Loss
- Tricks and Tips you absolutely must know
- What the Science Shows
- User Feedback and Reviews
- Forskolin FAQs
Forskolin: it’s not just a simple, miraculous pill that burns away your fat. Dr. Oz described it as a “miracle flower” on his popular television show, but it’s really so much more than that, and once you understand how it works, the “miracle” aspect of it will seem so simple.
Additionally, Forskolin’s health effects achieve even more, far beyond just your average personal weight loss supplement. Yes, there could be even more benefits in it for you, which is just more good news!
Forskolin supplements contain extracts of a plant from the mint family, Indian Coleus. It’s native to tropical regions around the world, and has been used in traditional folk medicine in those same regions for hundreds of years. Specifically, the extract has been a staple of Ayurdevic Medicine, one of the oldest holistic based medicines on the planet. As we discuss the many benefits of Forskolin, you’ll begin to understand why this extract is so popular in this holistic tradition from India. Today, the plant has advanced greatly from its traditional uses and is studied by researchers around the world to discover its secrets. Its scientific name, Coleus forskohlii, is where the supplement gets its commercial name.
The supplement is also named after the desired compound in this herb that achieves the fat-burning effects: forskolin (also called “coleonol”), a labdane diterpene unique to Indian Coleus only. Labdane diterpenes are found in many other plants, but what makes the ones from Indian Coleus so exciting is their unique, impressive effects: found in no other plant in the world. (1)
Studies show that Forskolin activates something called adenylate cyclase, an enzyme in mammals that in turn catalyzes the transformation of one enzyme into another: namely ATP into cAMP. The transformation of these enzymes in the body, as a result, revs up the body’s natural metabolism, energy use, and yes, fat-burning capabilities, which is the most exciting effect of all! (2) Essentially, the active ingredient, forskolin encourages fat cells to release stored fat to be used as energy in the body. However, the key role Forskolin plays in increasing cAMP levels affects many areas of health and the body including our metabolism.
The science behind Forskolin’s chemical activity, most notably as a labdane diterpene, is really quite sound. It alters the metabolism of human beings in a positive way, which would make it seem promising for weight loss: something that metabolism ultimately controls. The studies are there to prove it, too.
Connecting the dots together, it would seem that the reason Doctor Oz touted Forskolin’s weight-loss capabilities was due to the publishing of this preliminary study. Check it out, and you’ll see what all the buzz on The Doctor Oz Show was about!
To summarize the study’s results in layman’s terms: Forskolin supplements were seen to change the body’s composition more to “lean muscle mass” in only 12 weeks if taken daily. Yes, the results were amazing: fat was literally disappearing, giving favor to muscle and healthy weight. It should be noted, too, that the test subjects were struggling with obesity, and didn’t even need to exercise in order to achieve these effects.
So yes, there were definitely some weight loss effects there. Yet beyond being a mere weight loss supplement, studies of Forskolin show it offers even more benefits that make it appealing:
- Better circulation. This study discusses some areas that Forskolin helps improve circulation. In addition, the supplement can help reduce blood pressure.
- Relieves muscle spasms and stiffness. Forskolin is a smooth-muscle relaxant. For this reason, it can be used to treat intestinal discomforts, digestive disorders, menstruation cramps and other conditions.
- Treats idiopathic congestive cardiomyopathy. In this application, Forskolin is administered intravenously, helping improve heart function.
- Helps alleviate asthma symptoms when inhaled. Forskolin has been shown to help widen air passages in the lungs, which can relieve asthma. In fact, one study showed that relief and reduced asthma attacks were present in asthmatic individuals who took the Forskolin in capsules rather than inhaling it. In the same study, results from using Forskolin were significantly better than using a more traditional asthma treatment, sodium cromoglicate. WebMD also corroborates Forskolin’s usefulness for treating asthma, stating that it is “possibly effective” when inhaled.
- Allergy protection. Forskolin’s properties that work to open airways, relieving asthma also improve pulmonary function that may be affected by allergies. In addition, there are studies that show that Forskolin may increase cAMP levels. Higher cAMP levels are associated with fewer allergy symptoms, and many medicines that are taken to combat allergies work to increase cAMP levels in the body.
- Skin care. Some conditions such as eczema and psoriasis have been linked to low cAMP levels. Just like Forskolin helps diminish allergy symptoms, it has the same effect on these skin conditions.
- Can be used for glaucoma. This illness harms the eyes due to increased pressure existing in these vital organs in the body. Forskolin may help reduce eye pressure, and has been shown to do so in people without eye disease. Further research in people with glaucoma has proven to be hopeful. In an Italian study, patients who were unable to further increase their pressure-reducing medications were given Forskolin as an alternative treatment with positive result.
- Reduces depression. Another condition associated with low cAMP levels, there’s a possibility that Forskolin may reduce depression. cAMP is a type of secondary messenger that helps cells process messages from primary messengers. Among primary messengers are hormones such as serotonin. As you can see cAMP levels have a great effect on many areas of the body, including depression.
- Helps with hypothyroidism. Forskolin acts to stimulate the release of thyroid hormone.
- Lower the risk for osteoporosis. The same notable study showing weight loss results in men also showed an increase in bone mass in the group of individuals taking Forskolin.
- Enhances immune system function (3, 4). The immune system response is highly reliant on macrophages, the growth of which can be induced with Forskolin.
- Blood sugar maintenance. There’s one study that points to the possible use of Forskolin to control blood sugar levels. In the study, the supplement was administered for eight weeks and resulted in decreased fasting blood glucose levels. For anyone who has an understanding of the relationship between pre-diabetes, diabetes, and weight, this revelation may lead to another understanding of how Forskolin may help with weight loss. Many pre-diabetic patients struggle to lose weight due to insulin resistance. If Forskolin can help maintain normal blood sugar levels, individuals with insulin resistance may avoid sugar highs and crashes in a cycle that encourages more weight gain. Some supplements such as GOLO are based on this premise and have been used with great success. Forskolin may be another viable option for those on the path towards pre-diabetes to control blood sugar and lose weight.
- Enhances immune system function (3, 4)
As you can see, even if you aren’t trying to lose weight, adding a daily Forskolin supplement to your diet has other amazing benefits, and there are plenty of other studies to back them up, too. But, because of these many benefits, Forskolin can have negative effects depending on your body’s physiology. For example, lowered blood pressure may be a benefit for some, but for those who already have low blood pressure, this may cause trouble. Read on to learn about the side effects you should be aware of before taking this supplement.
There’s only one kind of Forskolin, found from the Indian Coleus plant. That doesn’t mean that there aren’t different ways it can be manufactured, extracted, and sold in various supplement forms, which is an important thing to realize if you are interested in taking the supplement!
Because formulations vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, side effects of Forskolin vary as well. Every supplement you choose to take has a list of potential side effects that vary greatly, due to the other ingredients, additives, and excipients contained in unique formulas of that particular Forskolin product.
When obtaining Forskolin, make sure to read the label. Study the ingredients and side effects. But just as important, it’s safest for you to always follow the bottle’s directions!
Forskolin by itself has the following potential side effects:It is advised that you do not take Forskolin extract if you have any of the following:
- Bleeding disorders – If you have bleeding issues, you will not want to take this supplement.
- Heart problems – Forskolin can interfere with some medications and lower blood pressure, so people with heart problems should not take it.
- Pregnancy – Because no conclusive studies have been conducted on taking this supplement during pregnancy, pregnant women should avoid taking it. (4, 5)
- Polycystic Kidney Disease – Molecules exclusive to the Forskolin plant were found in kidney renal cysts, so those with this disease are best to keep away. (6)
If you take the following medications, avoid taking Forskolin extract:
- CYP3A-Dependent Drugs – Which are most commonly used in liver disorders, diseases, and diabetes medications.
- Other Diabetes Medications – No solid evidence or studies yet, but potential interactions are expected.
- Anticoagulant Drugs – Forskolin may enhance effects of blood-thinning drugs.
- Antihypertensives – It may also enhance effects of drugs that help lower blood pressure.
- Vasodilators – Could also exacerbate medications that cause blood vessels to dilate (for hypertension or hypercholesterolemia). (4)
Important note: No conclusive studies have been done on the effects of taking massive amounts of Forskolin in a short period of time in humans. There have also been no major studies with a solid understanding of how Forskolin will interact with the various medications listed. While most of the studies cited in this article didn’t note any major side effects, each person’s body is different and there are some possible interactions we do know about, such as the blood pressure issue. Nevertheless, one of the positive sides of Forskolin highlighted in some of the studies was that results were achieved without adverse effects.
All the same, it’s best to err on the side of caution – only take Forskolin amounts as recommended on the bottle, and don’t take chances if you take the above medications. As when taking any medication or supplement, double check with your doctor if you’re not sure about it.
Because these two weight loss aids are so powerful, many people tend to compare their effectiveness. The tough part? BOTH have helped so many people achieve their dreams of losing weight.
So which one is truly better? Does one achieve more weight loss results than the other, on average?
Forskolin – Many reviews of this supplement show that users have lost a high percentage of body fat, and in just a short amount of time! One user claims to have lost 55 pounds in eight months, while another lost eight pounds in just three weeks. There’s no doubt that Forskolin can help you lose several pounds in just a few short weeks, and there appears to be added health benefits there to boot.
Garcinia Cambogia (GC) – Users have seen similar results when taking this supplement as with taking Forskolin. One user says she lost 25 pounds in two months on GC, which averages out to a weight loss of about three pounds a week. People using GC also report less food cravings, though you shouldn’t take Garcinia every day for a period longer than 12 weeks.
Our Findings: While we see no clear winner in terms of weight loss, Forskolin users have more advantages over Garcinia Cambogia users.
Advantages to Forskolin compared to Garcinia:
- Forskolin has added health benefits – Garcinia doesn’t.
- Forskolin has less side effects or concerns than Garcinia.
- You can take Forskolin for long periods of time – you can only take Garcinia for 12 weeks.
Again: there’s no clear winner in the weight loss category. But with all the added benefits, Forskolin gives you a lot more bang for your buck, and more peace of mind.
In the end, it’s up to you to decide which supplements are better for you. Be careful to check through the side effects listed on the supplement you purchase to ensure that you won’t experience any undesired outcomes.
Should you notice any adverse effects, head straight to the doctor.
Forskolin can be bought at a number of stores, but the prices and products offered may vary. Available at Walmart, The Vitamin Shoppe, Walgreens, GNC and CVS, you can expect to pay anywhere from approximately 20 dollars to 60 dollars.
One of people’s biggest concerns for taking any type of pill is whether it’s safe or not. In terms of this weight loss supplement, you should know that not all Forskolin supplements are created equal. So before you buy a Forskolin product, do your research. There are plenty of supplement makers on the market who are looking to make a quick buck as opposed to a quality product. Buy Forskolin supplements that meet all of the recommended criteria. Here’s our top recommended brand:
BodyBloom Forskolin is our top pick. The product is made with PURE ORGANIC ingredients, produced in GMP-certified laboratories. It has helped countless people achieve their weight loss goals quickly: by increasing lean muscle, breaking down tissue fat, and boosting metabolism. Of course, it has the added health benefits that we mentioned above as well!
This all-natural supplement contains 20% Coleus forskohlii root extract – the very same profile plant extract used in the famous study proving the plant’s weight-loss capabilities, and which backed its powerful promotion on The Doctor Oz Show.
- 100% Natural – Supplement will work more successfully for weight loss than synthetically made Forskolin supplements.
- Increases levels of thyroid hormones and testosterone – which speed up the process of fat-burning and lean-muscle building.
- Activates Protein Kinase – This lowers levels of triglycerides in the blood, which aids in boosting the metabolism.
Even better, this specific brand of Forskolin supplement is made in such a way to avoid the added side effects found in other mainstream brands. Yes, they avoid all the problematic stuff – so you can have a safe, healthy, and easy time losing weight. It’s also in supplement form, so you don’t get the problems from intravenous, inhalation, or eye-drop applications of Forskolin.
BodyBloom Forskolin is a popular product, customer-tested and approved. You can purchase it by clicking here or at the link below. It could very well be of life-changing benefit to you, too!
Buying a Forskolin product may at first feel like a decision of price, but there is so much more to consider than that. Good quality products tend to cost more because of the labour inputs. But as you can see from the list above Forskolin is generally not outrageous in cost. This means your attention should be solely focused on what is in it.
There are plenty of fly-by-night supplement makers who are ceasing the opportunity to make their own product in hopes of cashing in on the hype that is Forskolin for weight loss. You need to be aware of manufacturers who simply promise that their products are the best, because many of them are cutting corners, providing a product that was not developed with the manufacturing standards and optimal dosage that research has found to be the right equation for making Forskolin extract a valuable source for achieving your weight loss goals.
A clinical study published in the journal Obesity discovered that Forskolin has a positive effect on the breakdown of stored fats without changing your diet or exercise routine by using the most important piece of the puzzle: 100% pure Coleus Forskohlii extract. The scientists of the study also used 500mg of Forskolin for their research. Not using the right type of Forskolin could prove to be a waste of your time and money. But what other factors are important?
In order to maximize your potential weight loss results, you’ll want to ensure your Forskolin supplements meet all of the recommended criteria. Let the below outline serve as your go-to checklist for purchasing a premium Forskolin product:
- Capsules: 100% Pure Vegetarian Capsules
- 1 Bottle Supply: 30 days
- Standardized Forskolin: 20% (Anything lower than this will not be effective in helping you reduce stubborn belly fat.)
- Contains: NO Fillers, Binders or Additives
- Recommends: Daily Dose of 500mg (250mg capsules, 2 times a day).
Other factors to consider when searching for Forskolin supplements include:
- False claims with unsupported information being claimed as “facts.”
- Supplement must be made in an approved registered laboratory.
- Must manufactured in a cGMP certified facility.
- Complies with the US Pharmacopeia’s standards for quality and purity.
Always check the label to make sure it meets all of these criteria given above. If it doesn’t, don’t buy it!
Scientifically speaking, there are plenty of credible medical and governmental clinical studies out there that support using Forskolin extract to enhance your health both for weight loss and other reasons. With regards to weight loss, for instance, a study involving twenty-three overweight women who took 25mg of Forskolin (250 mg capsules of 10% standardized forskolin extract) twice a day for eight weeks found that the women lost a mean of ten pounds at the close of the trial period. Their percentage of body fat was reduced by nearly 8% as well.The scientists concluded that Forskolin may be especially helpful in weight maintenance, given that women also reported lesser intakes of carbohydrates, fat and energy in general during the study which may explain the weight loss statistics.
Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition:
This preliminary study showed that, given 25 mg of forskolin twice a day, overall body weight could improve by increasing lean body mass and by decreasing weight from body fat.
There are a few mechanisms that Forskolin uses to help increase weight loss. Some of them have already been discussed, such as the activation of adenylate cylase. In addition, the study cited by Dr. Oz shows that Forskolin may increase the presence of free testosterone in the body. How does additional testosterone help? This hormone often increases muscle mass, meaning that rather than creating fat, the body is more likely to create muscle, which is leaner than stored fat. This is one factor that may affect the results in some studies, particularly in the men’s study, as men are more greatly affected by testosterone. Although muscle mass appears leaner on the body, it actually weighs more than fat. So, the visual and health related outcomes may be more pronounced than what the scale shows.
So, there are a few ways that Forskolin may support weight loss or maintenance, suggesting that this supplement may be a great support for those hoping to stop gaining weight or lose weight.
Forskolin, as has been mentioned, is useful for much more than weight loss. In addition, the plant can also be used in the treatment of many other illnesses. In addition to what’s mentioned above, researchers have found:
Another study found that it can treat glaucoma by reducing raised intraocular pressure (IOP).
International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences:
The review of literature has shown that the forskolin has an intra oculohypotensive effect and hence useful in the treatment of the glaucoma.
And the studies go on. From its effects on cAMP, cGMP and free fatty acids to being used as a topical rescue and skin protection with Forskolin-basd tanning lotion, and even how it can alleviate hypertension and may treat cancer.
Further research will show us the many uses, particularly those related to cAMP level conditions, that Forskolin may have in the future. This revolutionary extract may well be the next upcoming cure for any number of diseases and conditions. The best part about it? It’s natural! What we know so far points to the fact that, although caution should be exercised, doctors may be able to administer Forskolin where greater doses of traditional medications are no longer possible, such as with glaucoma. We can only imagine what researchers will discover next. This miracle flower does offer hope and potential to change treatment options for many illnesses. Perhaps you’ll discover it for yourself!
To give you further context surrounding Forskolin and help you understand the possibilities that the supplement offers in weight loss, we’ve put together some reviews, both positive and negative, of Forskolin. In these reviews, you’ll discover what some of the most authoritative figures and websites in supplements and health have to say about Forskolin. Through these opinions, we hope you’ll get a better idea of what you can expect from the supplement and gain insight from other interpretations of the research surrounding Forskolin.
Review #1 – Famous Expert “Dr. Oz” (Positive)
Dr. Oz is a big supporter and spokesperson for Forskolin as a weight loss aid, and his reviews of the product certainly lend it some valuable credibility. To add to the authenticity of a supplement’s effects, Doctor Oz will often invite diet experts and guests on to his show who have taken the supplement, lost weight, and who also kept the weight off indefinitely!
His show on Forskolin had many of these guests, proving that it was truly a #1 weight loss choice.
- Watch this video to learn more about why Dr. Oz loves Forskolin extract so much.
Review #2 – The Medical Portal “Drugs.com” (Positive)
Drugs.com is a reliable, respectable online source for finding genuine and unbiased information about medications and supplements. All the information they gather is backed by very reputable sources, and their review on Forskolin is no exception.
Some of their own sources and research is so reliable, we’ve even used it ourselves for writing this comprehensive article and guide for you on Forskolin! They tap into the truth and the real facts about supplements, just like we do.
In addition to no-nonsense scientific data, the site provides references to how it has helped real-life people achieve weight loss goals and better health. Can’t argue with that!
- Read the entire article here
Review #3 – The ”NYU Langone Medical Center” (Negative)
NYU Langone Medical Center approaches the topic on Forskolin in a different way than mentioned thus far. The article states that any medical benefits ascribed to Plectranthus barbatus (Coleus forskohlii) are likely derived from the Forskolin within it. They also go on to say that, while there is plenty of information on the health benefits Forskolin provides, the scientific evidence is weak, so you should not consider it a valuable source for treating any ailments.
- Learn more about the NYU point of view
Review #4 – The “Science-Based Medicine” (Negative)
In this provoking article, the author criticizes Dr. Oz for his promotion of Forskolin extract for weight loss due to the variety of studies done on the supplement that have inconclusive results.
By reviewing Dr. Oz’s case for Forskolin as a beneficial supplement for human consumption, the article declares that it has not bene demonstrated to cause weight loss, except in rodents, its clinical efficacy and safety have not been established, and that it raises blood levels of testosterone.
- Check out the full article here and judge for yourself.
Forskolin is thought to be a beneficial weight loss supplement due to studies that show it revs up the body’s natural metabolism, energy use, and fat-burning capabilities. It has also been linked to a variety of additional health benefits including better circulation, alleviating asthma symptoms, helping to clear up acne, reducing depression and more.
Forskolin has also been found to have potential side effects like low blood pressure, irritation of the throat, stinging of the eyes, suppressed central nervous system, and perianal itching.
In comparison to Garcinia, Forskolin has added health benefits, which Garcinia does not. It also has less side effects, and you can take it for longer periods of time, while you can only take Garcinia for a total of 12 weeks.
Remember, a healthy lifestyle including a nutrient rich diet low in calories and processed foods and exercise are paramount for weight maintenance. This type of lifestyle will not only help you lose weight and keep it off, but it will improve your overall health. For the best results, make this change whether or not you use any additional weight loss supplements. If your aim is to truly take care of your body, take your diet and exercise into account when creating your weight loss plan.
If you do decide to use Forskolin as your weight loss supplement of choice, be sure that the product you choose meets all of the recommended criteria. It should be 100% pure vegetarian capsules, have no fillers, binders or additives, and should be standardized to 20%.
We wish you the best of luck on your journey to successful weight loss.
Have Your Own Forskolin Stories and Experiences? Talk To Us! Comment Below!
Read next on Livin3
- How to Get Rid of Love Handles and Lower Belly Fat
- A Review of SkinnyMint: Is it Backed by Science?
- How to Lose Thigh Fat (The Only Guide You Need)