Epsom Salt Baths can be used as a quick way to lose weight fast. Simply toss some Epsom salt in a hot bathtub of water. Epsom salt baths can increase metabolism and overall health through alternative weight loss methods.
Read on to find out why you should use Epsom salt baths for weight loss, how it can detoxify your body, and much more!
About Epsom Salts
Epsom salts are actually a naturally occurring substance made up of Magnesium and Sulfate. Its real name is magnesium sulfate hepahydrate. It has 13% sulfur and 10 percent magnesium. (1) These salts are named after the bitter, saline spring in Surrey, England, though they are not actually salts. Epsom salts are also regarded as the “jack of all trades” as they are used in a lot of home remedies to treat a variety of problems. Epsom salts are incredibly versatile and can be used in different niches like beauty, health, home improvement; as well as in gardening tasks like stump removal and fertilization. (2)
The Magnesium content of the Epsom salts itself regulates about 300 enzymes and improves muscle and nerve functions. Magnesium can also reduce inflammation, reduce joint and muscle pain. The best part is that Epsom salts have a palpable effect on the skin and are easily absorbed into the skin. (3) Are you aware of the fact that magnesium is the 2nd most abundant element in the human cells and the fourth most essential positively charged ion in the body? Magnesium has several roles to play in the human body. Sulfate on the other hand has detoxification properties and can flush out toxins effectively from the body. Sulfates are also known to alleviate headaches and migraines. (4)
Magnesium in the body
- It is essential in the creation of energy molecules throughout the body.
- It plays a key role in the breakdown of glucose and fat.
- It regulates cholesterol production.
- It helps in the proper bone and teeth formation.
- It helps blood vessels relax.
- It regulates blood sugar levels.
- It is essential for proper bowel function.
- It is responsible for action of the heart muscle.
- It regulates our electrolyte balance.
- Glutathione, which is the master antioxidant of the body also requires magnesium for its synthesis.
- It protects our DNA, also DNA synthesis is slowed by insufficient magnesium.
- Magnesium is an essential factor to more than 300 enzyme-driven biochemical reactions that occur in the body constantly.
Therapeutic Benefits of Magnesium
- Type 2 Diabetes. Magnesium-rich foods can significantly lower the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, even in obese/overweight people who are generally at a higher risk.
- Premenstrual syndrome. Magnesium was found to significantly improve PMS mood changes in certain studies.
- Cardiovascular Disease. Magnesium helps lower blood pressure, promotes reduced cholesterol levels and enhances heart health.
- Migraine. It has been found that magnesium is effective in relieving migraine.
- Aging. The intake of magnesium contributes to healthier aging and the prevention of age-related diseases.
- Reverses Osteoporosis. Calcium combined with magnesium improves bone mineral density. Intake of magnesium is essential because it wards off osteoporosis.
Filling the Tub
Fill up the bath tub with hot water, while it’s filling add 1 cup of Epsom salts. You can even add bath oil into it, if you wish and now your bath water is ready! You can stay in the tub for 20-25 minutes. After that it is recommended you rinse off your body. The Epsom salt bath will help you feel stress free. If you have any body aches, this kind of bath will help give you superb results. Experts also believed that this bath therapy can reduce the chance of stroke and blood clotting. If you are a diabetic or have high blood pressure, kidney stones or if you are pregnant then you should avoid using Epsom salt in bath water or you may consult a physician. This is because the bath may cause some discomfort or can trigger some health issues. (6)
Epsom Salts for Weight Loss
Epsom salts for weight loss: these salts help to detoxify the body, which is one of the most important factors contributing to weight loss. Toxin that build up in your body can prevent your body from burning the fats and slow down metabolism. Epsom Salts naturally detoxify and can eliminate the toxins and enhance the fat-burning process. (7) An Epsom salt bath is the best way to reap the benefits of this ingredient as it can be easily absorbed into the various layers of the skin. Before we begin with the different Epsom salt baths, please note: you may want to consult your physician if you have hypertension (or high blood pressure) before using Epsom salts. (8)
Types of baths
Baking Soda. Add equal parts baking soda and Epsom salts. Usually 2 cups of each is added to a hot bath. Soak in this bath 15-30 minutes for optimal results. This method is particularly good for detoxifying the body.
Apple Cider Vinegar. Mix two parts apple cider vinegar to one part Epsom salts to your bath. Soak in this bath for at least 40 minutes for maximum benefits. This vinegar bath also can alleviate joint pain and muscle stress; as well. (9)
Ginger. Use 2 cups of Epsom salts, then freshly grate 2 tablespoons of ginger into a hot bath; as hot as you can tolerate. Soak in this ginger bath for at least 30 minutes. (10)
To optimize the detoxification process, stay hydrated and push fluids.
Endorsed by Dr. Oz
Dr. Oz said you can take an inch off your waist and thighs by taking a 10-minute bath in Epsom salt (or magnesium sulfate), which draws out toxins and excess fluids. One woman demonstrated live on the Dr. Oz Show how an Epsom salt bath helped her lose an inch off her waist and another inch off her thighs.
“It’s naturally anti-inflammatory,” said Dr. Oz, who said the weight loss is temporary, but the anti-toxin effect of an Epsom salt bath is not. Plus, the bath is relaxing and inexpensive. The doctor’s recommendations:
- Add two cups of Epsom salt to your bath water and soak for 10 minutes.
- Do this two or three times a week. (11)
Alternative to Epsom salts for weight loss
If you prefer not to bathe in water with Epsom salts; but, still wish to get rid of bodily toxins, you can use Epsom salt as a laxative. You can dissolve one tablespoon of Epsom salt in one glass of water. You can consume the solution orally and still see and feel the effects of its amazing, cleansing results. (12)
Other Uses for Epsom Salt
- If you have a problem with oily hair: mix Epsom salt with your regular conditioner in equal quantities. Apply the mixture and let it sit in your hair for 20 minutes, and then rinse.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of Epsom salt alleviates the irritation caused by sunburn. To relieve itching and irritation, you can also prepare a spray. Add two tablespoons of Epsom salt in a cup of water. Mix it well and pour it into a spray bottle. Squirt it on the affected areas.
- Epsom salt is also used to clean tiles at home. Mix some Epsom salt with liquid dish detergent. Scrub it on the tiles and walls and then rinse them thoroughly.
- Epsom salt is also helpful for treating dry lips. Add some Epsom salt to petroleum jelly. Rub it gently on the lips. The scrub will slough off dead and dry skin on your lips. It will also make lips smooth and healthy.
- Epsom salt is the best remedy to heal bug bites. Add two tablespoons of Epsom salt to a glass of water. Apply it to the affected area.
- If you are suffering from cold or flu symptoms, try a hot Epsom salt bath. It not only fortifies your immune system; but, also relaxes muscles and body aches. It even boosts the number of white blood cells which helps fight infection.
- It helps cure sore muscles. Dissolve some Epsom salt in hot water and then let it refrigerate for 20 minutes. Cleanse and dry the affected area. Then, apply the Epsom salt paste on sore muscles.
- The natural exfoliation properties of Epsom salt helps soften the rough skin. During the process of a pedicure, add some Epsom salt to warm soapy water.
- Epsom salt is also an excellent cure for bee stings. Add 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt in a cup of water. Stir it well and dip a cotton ball or clean washcloth in it and apply it on the swollen area.
- Epsom salt is also helpful in cleaning facial pores. Add 1½ teaspoons of Epsom salt in a cleansing cream. Apply it gently on the skin and rinse off with water.
- Epsom salt is the best remedy for deep exfoliation. Add 2 cups of Epsom salt in petroleum jelly and add a few drops of lavender oil or another favorite blend for fragrance. Apply it on the skin.
- In case of poison ivy rashes, Epsom salt can work wonders. Prepare a mixture by adding Epsom salt in water. Dip a washcloth in it and place it on the affected area.
- Add Epsom salt to your bath to make muscles strong and healthy.
- Epsom salt baths also induce sound sleep.
- Soaking feet in Epsom salt solution helps treat joint pain, toe or foot fungus, and foot odor. (13)
Epsom salt baths offer quick and easy weight loss. Plus Epsom salts offer a host of health benefits and natural remedies to many common ailments. Epsom salts are quite the panacea. This amazingly versatile and natural remedy has been overlooked for way too long! Epsom Salts help treat and soothe migraines, inflammation due to poison ivy, bug bites, bee stings, sunburn, muscle aches, and joint pain. They can even be used to help reverse the signs of aging, and osteoporosis; boost immunity, balance PH, exfoliate skin, and detoxify the body overall. Next time you’re suffering from one of these many ailments, try a soak in a Epsom Salt Bath, not only will you lose weight, you’ll feel better too!