Have you ever used Epsom salt before? This salt is widely used for a variety of things, from soaking sore muscles to being used as an occasional laxative.
What you didn’t know is that Epsom salt can actually be used to lose weight!
Epsom salt baths can be used as a way to lose weight fast. It’s really as simple as tossing some Epsom salt in a hot bath. Epsom salt baths have been known to have a variety of benefits, from increasing metabolism to relieving pain.
Epsom salts can increase overall health for those who struggle with losing weight through alternative weight loss methods.
Read on to find out why you should use Epsom salt baths for weight loss, how it can detoxify your body, and much more!
About Epsom Salts
Its real name is magnesium sulfate heptahydrate. It has 13 percent sulfur and 10 percent magnesium. (1) These salts are named after the bitter saline spring in Surrey, England, though they are not actually salts.
Epsom salts are also regarded as the “jack of all trades” as they are used in a lot of home remedies to treat a variety of problems. Epsom salts are incredibly versatile and can be used in different niches like beauty, health, and home improvement. Even lawns can benefit from Epsom salt: gardening tasks like stump removal and fertilization use this enchanting salt! (2)
The magnesium content of the Epsom salts itself regulates about 300 enzymes and improves muscle and nerve functions. Magnesium can also reduce inflammation, reduce joint and muscle pain.
The best part is that Epsom salts have a palpable effect on the skin and are easily absorbed into the skin. (3) Did you know that magnesium is the second most abundant element in human cells and the fourth most essential positively charged ion in the body?
Magnesium has numerous roles to play in the human body. Sulfate, on the other hand, has detoxification properties and can effectively flush out toxins from the body. Sulfates are also known to alleviate headaches and migraines. (4)
Magnesium in the Body
Magnesium has huge benefits for your body. In fact, this mineral is noted to be responsible for 300 different reactions in the body. Many people are deficient in magnesium, which causes a variety of health symptoms.
These are just a few of the processes that magnesium is needed for in our systems:
- It’s essential in the creation of energy molecules throughout the body.
- It plays a key role in the breakdown of glucose and fat.
- It regulates cholesterol production.
- It helps in the proper bone and teeth formation.
- It helps blood vessels relax.
- It regulates blood sugar levels.
- It is essential for proper bowel function.
- It is responsible for action of the heart muscle.
- It regulates our electrolyte balance.
- Glutathione, which is the master antioxidant of the body also requires magnesium for its synthesis.
- It protects our DNA, also DNA synthesis is slowed by insufficient magnesium.
- Magnesium is an essential factor to more than 300 enzyme-driven biochemical reactions that occur in the body constantly.
Therapeutic Benefits of Magnesium
We’ve established how necessary magnesium is for normal body function of many different processes. Increasing your magnesium intake either through supplementing with a quality magnesium supplement or through taking more Epsom salt baths can have many benefits and relieve many different health issues, including:
- Type 2 Diabetes. Magnesium-rich foods can significantly lower the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, even in obese or overweight people who are generally at a higher risk for this disease.
- Premenstrual syndrome. Magnesium was found to significantly improve PMS mood changes in certain studies.
- Cardiovascular Disease. Magnesium helps lower blood pressure, promotes reduced cholesterol levels, and enhances heart health.
- Migraines. It’s been found that magnesium is effective in relieving migraine and tension headaches.
- Aging. The intake of magnesium contributes to healthier aging and the prevention of age-related diseases.
- Reverses Osteoporosis. Calcium combined with magnesium improves bone mineral density. Intake of magnesium is essential because it helps ward off osteoporosis!
Filling the Tub
Are you ready to begin incorporating magnesium into your daily life? Here’s how you can use Epsom salt to increase your transdermal magnesium intake and begin experiencing the benefits.
Fill up the bath tub with hot water. While it’s filling, add 1 cup of Epsom salts to dissolve in the water.
You can even add lavender essential oil to the bath if you want–about 10 drops are sufficient and will help create a relaxing bath for you to soak in.
Now your bath water is ready!
You can stay in the tub for 20-25 minutes or longer if you want, although after the half-hour window, it’s recommended that you rinse off your body.
The Epsom salt bath will help you ease stress and relieve tension in your muscles. If you have any body aches, this kind of bath will help give you superb results.
Experts also believe that this bath therapy can reduce the chance of stroke and blood clotting.
If you’re diabetic or have high blood pressure, kidney stones, or if you’re pregnant, then you should avoid using Epsom salt in bath water or you can talk to your doctor about using Epsom salt. This is because the bath may cause some discomfort or can trigger some health issues. (6)
Epsom Salts for Weight Loss
We’ve talked about how Epsom salt can help boost your magnesium intake which can help improve heart function, help you feel more relaxed, improve menstrual cramps, and even help your skin.
Now let’s talk about how Epsom salt can be used for weight loss.
Since Epsom salt helps to detoxify the body, this makes it a major player when it comes to weight loss.
Toxins that build up in your body can prevent your body from burning fat and slow down your metabolism. Epsom salt naturally detoxifies your body and can eliminate the toxins and enhance the fat-burning process. (7)
An Epsom salt bath is the best way to reap the benefits of this ingredient as it can be easily absorbed into the various layers of the skin.
Although Epsom salt can be beneficial for weight loss, you may want to consult your physician if you have hypertension (high blood pressure) before using Epsom salts. (8)
Types of Epsom Salt Baths
Adding Epsom salt into your bath with a bit of lavender oil can be heavenly. However, there are other Epsom salt baths you can incorporate to help reap different benefits of this mineral.
Here are a few ideas you can use to help increase your benefits from using Epsom salt for weight loss!
Baking Soda. Add equal parts baking soda and Epsom salt to your bath. Usually 2 cups of each is added to a hot bath. Soak in this bath 15-30 minutes for optimal results. This method is particularly good for detoxifying the body!
Apple Cider Vinegar. Mix two parts apple cider vinegar to one part Epsom salt to your bath. Soak in this bath for at least 40 minutes for maximum benefits. This vinegar bath also can alleviate joint pain and muscle stress as well. (9)
Apple cider vinegar has been very popular as a weight loss aid and is widely available at many supermarkets. You can also take apple cider vinegar internally to experience the benefits.
Ginger. Use 2 cups of Epsom salt, then freshly grate 2 tablespoons of ginger into a hot bath; as hot as you can tolerate. Ginger root has many benefits and is widely available just like apple cider vinegar. Soak in this ginger bath for at least 30 minutes. (10)
To optimize the detoxification process when using Epsom salt in these baths, it’s important to stay hydrated to flush the toxins out of your system and get plenty of rest.
Endorsed by Dr. Oz
Dr. Oz said you can take an inch off your waist and thighs by taking a 10-minute bath in Epsom salt (or magnesium sulfate), which draws out toxins and excess fluids.
One woman demonstrated live on the Dr. Oz Show how an Epsom salt bath helped her lose an inch off her waist and another inch off her thighs.
“It’s naturally anti-inflammatory,” said Dr. Oz, who said the weight loss is temporary, but the anti-toxin effect of an Epsom salt bath is not.
Plus, the bath is relaxing and inexpensive. The doctor’s recommendations:
- Add two cups of Epsom salt to your bath water and soak for 10 minutes.
- Do this two or three times a week. (11)
When it comes to different weight loss supplements, Epsom salt is definitely on the cheaper end and it’s much more natural. A bag of Epsom salt can cost as little as a few dollars at your local supermarket!
Alternative to Epsom Salt for Weight Loss
If you prefer not to bathe in water with Epsom salts (hey, baths aren’t for everyone) but still want to get rid of toxins, you can use Epsom salt as a laxative.
To do this, dissolve one tablespoon of Epsom salt in one glass of water. You can consume the solution orally and still see and feel the effects of its amazing, cleansing results. (12)
Other Uses for Epsom Salt
- If you have a problem with oily hair. Mix Epsom salt with your regular conditioner in equal quantities. Apply the mixture and let it sit in your hair for 20 minutes and then rinse it out thoroughly.
- Get rid of sunburn. The anti-inflammatory properties of Epsom salt can help alleviate the irritation caused by sunburn. To relieve itching and irritation, you can also prepare a spray. Add two tablespoons of Epsom salt in a cup of water. Mix it well and pour it into a spray bottle. Squirt it on the affected areas.
- Epsom salt is also used to clean tiles at home. Mix some Epsom salt with liquid dish detergent, preferably a natural cleaner. Use it to scrub the tiles and walls and then rinse all surfaces thoroughly.
- Epsom salt is also helpful for treating dry lips. Add some Epsom salt to coconut oil. Rub it gently on the lips. The scrub will slough off dead and dry skin on your lips, also acting as an exfoliator. It will also make lips smooth and healthy.
- Epsom salt is the best remedy to heal bug bites. Add two tablespoons of Epsom salt to a glass of water. Apply it to the affected area.
- Relieve cold or flu symptoms. If you’re sick and can’t stand feeling so bad, try a hot Epsom salt bath. It not only fortifies your immune system but also relaxes muscles and body aches. It even boosts the number of white blood cells which helps fight infection.
- It helps cure sore muscles. Dissolve some Epsom salt in hot water and then let it refrigerate for 20 minutes. Cleanse and dry the affected area. Then, apply the Epsom salt paste on sore muscles.
- Use to exfoliate skin. Since Epsom salt is a natural exfoliator, it helps soften rough, dry skin.
- Epsom salt is also an excellent cure for bee stings. Add 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt in a cup of water. Stir it well and dip a cotton ball or clean washcloth in it and apply it on the swollen area.
- Epsom salt is also helpful in cleaning facial pores. Add 1½ teaspoons of Epsom salt in a cleansing cream. Apply it gently on the skin and rinse off with water.
- Epsom salt is the best remedy for deep exfoliation. Add 2 cups of Epsom salt in coconut oil and add a few drops of lavender oil or another favorite blend for fragrance. Apply it on the skin.
- In case of poison ivy rashes, Epsom salt can work wonders. Prepare a mixture by adding Epsom salt in water. Dip a washcloth in it and place it on the affected area.
- Sleep better. Since magnesium is very relaxing, it can help promote restful sleep and get you on a more natural sleep schedule!
- Help your feet. Soaking your feet in a small tub of Epsom salt can help with joint paint and toe or foot fungus. Epsom salt can even help relieve foot odor. (13)
What Kind of Epsom Salt to Buy?
There are many different kinds of Epsom salt on the market today. Your best bet is to stay away from ones that have added ingredients. These include ones that have fragrance or other scents added. These may seem nice at first, but those added chemicals are not helping your body out!
It’s best to stick to pure Epsom salt. You may also choose to buy magnesium flakes, which may help increase absorption of magnesium. Whatever you choose, pick a brand that has only one ingredient: magnesium sulfate!
Epsom salt baths are only easy to do and inexpensive but offer a quick and easy solution to weight loss!
Epsom salt also offers a host of other health benefits and natural remedies to many common ailments. Epsom salt helps treat and soothe migraines, inflammation due to poison ivy, bug bites, bee stings, sunburn, muscle aches, and joint pain.
Epsom salt can even be used to help reverse the signs of aging and osteoporosis, boost immunity, balance pH, exfoliate skin, and detoxify the body.
Next time you’re suffering from one of these many ailments, try a soak in a Epsom salt bath. You can pick up a bag of this amazing salt at your local supermarket. Epsom salt can help you lose weight and feel better!