You’ve probably heard many of the hottest Hollywood starlets buzzing over the Honey Cinnamon Diet. If you wish for a slim body like the celebrities have only to find that slow weight loss frustrates you, then you may be considering trying this cleanse. Hollywood’s elite swear by this to loose a few pounds for awards seasons and movie cameras. If it is good enough for them, it must be good enough for you, right?
Hold on a second. The Honey Cinnamon Diet may be too good to be true. Can this diet plan really help you slim down safely? Is it just another fad diet without proven results?
Read on to find out what the Honey Cinnamon Diet is, if you would benefit from it, and what you can eat while following the diet plan.
What is the Honey Cinnamon Diet?
The Honey Cinnamon Cleanse revolves around followers combining honey and cinnamon into a weight loss drink. Every day, dieters boil water with honey and cinnamon and drink the combination first thing in the morning and right before bed. This combination of honey and cinnamon supposedly keeps the body from storing fat.
While following this diet plan, dieters should follow a healthy, low calorie diet and drink a mix of cinnamon and honey several times a day.
The Science Behind the Honey Cinnamon Diet
Honey and cinnamon combine to make a popular folk medicine or homeopathic remedy for many issues. Homeopaths swear by this combo to help with many health problems including heart disease, arthritis, blood pressure, stress relief, and weight loss. It also may help lower cholesterol and regulate insulin levels.
These claims are backed by actual science. Studies show honey has an antimicrobial property that makes it a powerful natural healer. Similar research has been conducted about the benefits of cinnamon. This research has found that cinnamon does in fact help to regulate insulin levels and blood sugar. The research on both honey and cinnamon support that both of these substances have anti-inflammatory properties.
So why does this matter?
It matters in the following 2 ways:
- Insulin and blood sugar play a huge role in weight loss. In an article for the Huffington Post, Combating insulin resistance helps prevent this unnecessary fat storage and may help you prevent the resulting weight gain. When you are not insulin resistant, your body is better able to regulate its blood sugar. Better regulation of blood sugar also prevents unnecessary weight gain.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of both honey and cinnamon help the body fight fat. According to Women’s Health, chronic inflammation can disrupt the hormones that regulate your metabolism and the way your body registers hunger. Chronic inflammation can even cause your body to hold on to extra water weight and bloating. Therefore by fighting inflammation with a combination of cinnamon and honey, you help regulate your metabolism and blast through water weight.
So how do you drink cinnamon and honey? There are several methods including the following:
Recipe 1: Boiled Water with Cinnamon and Honey Twice Daily
This is the traditional way to drink cinnamon and honey for weight loss. While this is the method you will have likely heard about, it may get boring to drink it repeatedly. Avoid diet burn out by mixing up your choice of cinnamon and honey brew with the other methods below.
- Add a teaspoon of cinnamon powder to a cup of boiling water. Stir together and allow it to sit and cool for 10 – 15 minutes.
- When the water has cooled, stir in a tablespoon of honey to the mixture.
- Stir well and drink half of the mixture in the morning on an empty stomach and the other half within 45 minutes of finishing dinner.
Recipe 2: Cinnamon and Honey as Jam or Syrup
- Boil a cup of water in a small saucepan.
- When the water starts to boil, whisk in a teaspoon of cinnamon until there are no more lumps and it is well combined in the water.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover the saucepan.
- Continue to cook the cinnamon water for 30 minutes before adding a teaspoon of honey.
- Whisk the mixture vigorously until well combined.
- Place the lid tightly and keep this at room temperature. If the lid is not on tightly or the mix is not kept at room temperature, the honey may harden on top.
- This resulting syrup may be drunk on its own, stirred in teas, or used on bread or oatmeal in place of jam or syrup.
Recipe 3: Tea Brewed from Cinnamon Sticks
Brewing a tea from cinnamon sticks awakens the senses with its delightful smell and unlocks a tasty cup of weight loss benefits.
- Break a long cinnamon stick into pieces.
- Place the broken stick in a teapot and pour 1 ½ cups of water into the pot.
- Bring this to a rolling boil.
- Let the cinnamon steep for about 10 minutes and then strain the tea to remove the cinnamon sticks.
- Serve the drink in teacups and drink with a teaspoon of honey mixed into each cup.
- Drink this tea twice a day for the best results.
Recipe 4: Tea with Cinnamon and Honey
Each of these teas may have other weight loss benefits. According to Women’s Health, green tea includes EGCG, an antioxidant that boosts the metabolism, while black tea gives the metabolism a boost with a shot of caffeine.
- Brew a pot of black or green tea.
- When the tea is brewed mix in 2 tablespoons of honey and a teaspoon of cinnamon powder. Stir well until the cinnamon and honey is dissolved.
- Drink this 2 to 3 times per day for best results.
Recipe 5: Honey, Cinnamon and Lemon
According to Dr. Oz, lemons help bust bacteria and your digestive system trucking along smoothly. So adding lemons into a honey and cinnamon drink would only add in extra health benefits.
- Add a teaspoon of cinnamon to a tablespoon of honey and a tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Stir it well and steep it in 2 cups of boiling water.
- Let cool before straining and drinking.
- Drink this twice daily for maximum results.
Recipe 6: Green Tea with Honey, Cinnamon and Lemon
- Mix a teaspoon each of honey and lemon juice and 1/2 a teaspoon of ground cinnamon into a cup of green tea.
- Drink this twice a day for best health results.
- You can also substitute black tea for green tea in this mixture for another unique metabolism boosting brew.
Recipe 7: Cinnamon, Honey, Apple Cider Vinegar with Lemon
Adding the benefits of apple cider vinegar into the mix can really maximize the health benefits of drinking a homemade brew with cinnamon, honey and lemon. Apple cider vinegar boosts digestion and has a number of immune perks that help you feel and look your best.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and mix with a tablespoon of honey, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, juice of 1 lemon and a cup of drinking water.
- Mix all these ingredients and enjoy this mixture either hot or cold.
- Drink this several times per day to get the best results.
Honey and Cinnamon for Weight Loss: Timing
Cinnamon and honey can be taken in the morning, between meals, before working out, or at bed time. Each time of day has different benefits and reason to take it.
In the Morning
Get your metabolism revving first thing in the morning by taking this on a empty stomach right when you wake up. Take it at least 30 minutes prior to breakfast. Benefits of taking cinnamon and honey upon waking up include the following:
- It helps wake up and clear out the digestive system.
- It raises your metabolism.
- It can boost your energy throughout the day.
- It may promote weight loss.
Snack Between Meals
Drinking any of the cinnamon and honey mixes between meals can help stave off those snack cravings that may cause you to overeat and blow your diet. When you take this mix between meals it has the following benefits:
- It eases hunger pangs and cravings, making you less likely to snack on unhealthy things throughout the day.
- It may lower blood sugar levels allowing you to prevent the dreaded afternoon slump after the post lunch blood sugar slump.
- It offers some satisfaction when you get a snack craving.
Prior to Working Out
Skip the sugary energy drink pre workout in favor of sipping some cinnamon and honey tea. The combo of cinnamon and honey can give you a boost of energy that will make you more likely to crush your workout. Benefits of taking this drink before working out include:
- More energy that may help you push through possible premature exercise fatigue. This makes you likely to exercise a little longer or a little longer, burning more calories.
- The sugar in honey is easily digestible so your body doesn’t waste effort during your workout breaking down food. Instead of sending the resources to your belly to break down food, your body can send those resources to your muscles to help you push through your workout.
The time after dinner can be the diet danger zone when you are trying to lose weight. Even articles written for athletes in Runner’s World warn against eating after dinner to manage your diet. Studies conducted by Cambridge researchers showed that those who didn’t eat between 7 pm and 6 am were more likely to consume around 200 calories less per day and be hungrier when waking- both beneficial for weight loss.
So how does drinking honey and cinnamon before bed benefit your weight loss goals?
- It satisfies late night snack cravings without you noshing on junk.
- The honey may satisfy a sweet tooth.
- Drinking this still coats your stomach and may make you feel more satisfied than not drinking it.
Who is the Cinnamon and Honey Diet best for?
The Cinnamon and Honey Diet is best for people that are able to hold themselves accountable and are ok with being mindful of their dietary intake. On the Cinnamon and Honey Diet, you must follow a low calorie, healthy diet. If you are the type of person that can keep yourself on track with a lot of flexibility then this diet may be for you.
Who should avoid the Cinnamon and Honey Diet?
As always, you should check with your doctor prior to starting any weight loss regiment.
In general pregnant and breastfeeding women should avoid this and any other weight loss program unless advised by their doctor.
Diabetics should also use this diet with caution. Because honey is a sugar, diabetics need to be under a doctor’s supervision when trying this weight loss method.
Pros and Cons of the Cinnamon and Honey Diet
When deciding whether or not you want to try the Cinnamon and Honey Diet, you should carefully weigh the pros and cons.
- You can choose what you are eating as long as it is healthy.
- There are many ways to take cinnamon and honey for weight loss.
- Cinnamon and honey are natural and do not have any dangerous side effects that some diet drugs may have.
- This is not a quick fix or magic solution so you may be frustrated.
- You have to meal plan and calorie count.
- You may be tempted to skip meals in favor of just drinking cinnamon and honey, which could lead to a dangerous cycle of crash dieting.
Any weight loss regime requires commitment that you have to be ready for.
Bottom Line: Should I try the Cinnamon and Honey Diet?
While the Cinnamon and Honey Diet isn’t as dangerous as other fad diets, the jury is out whether or not the Cinnamon and Honey Diet actually works.
If you are already following a healthy, low calorie diet and getting proper exercise, trying the Cinnamon and Honey Diet can’t hurt. It might help you break through a weight loss plateau.
Because it is all natural, there are very few, if any, negative side effects from cinnamon and honey. In fact, cinnamon and honey have a whole list of positive effects that may benefit your health overall.
Unfortunately, if you are hoping for a quick fix or way to loose weight fast, this method is not for you. The best solution for lasting weight loss and good health is a healthy low calorie diet full of protein, fruit and vegetables, and whole grains combined with getting enough exercise via cardio and weight training.