Would you love to have muscular arms and a rock-hard core? Your own body weight and some simple equipment offer you limitless numbers of exercise that will quickly transform your body. If you’re serious about fitness and looking your best, then you’ll definitely need a dip bar. With the dip bar, you can transform your triceps from flabby skin that hangs off your arm into well-defined muscles you’re proud to show off.
A dip bar is a simple piece of equipment that often allows you to perform numerous exercises. But, what are they? And how can you make sure you get the right dip bar that won’t fall to pieces within a few weeks? In this article, you’ll learn about the many different types of dip and pullup bars available on the market, how you can even make your own and what to look for in a quality dip bar. In addition, we’ll cover some of the best exercises you can do using the equipment. Once we’re through, you’ll be a dip bar expert!
Why Invest in a Dip Bar?
A dip bar is generally a piece of simple equipment made of steel that allows the user to perform “dips”. In this exercise, you grab the two support bars and bend your elbows at a 90-degree angle, lowering your body, and then bringing it back up. Your feet can be supported by the floor or some equipment may allow your full body to hang. While doing dips, you work your triceps, chest and shoulder muscles.
However, that’s just a small show of what the dip bar can do for you. Many dip bars also allow you to do pushups, pullups, as well as plank and core exercises. These all work your upper body muscles using your own body weight. By performing these exercises, in addition to strengthening your muscles, you can also lose weight.
Types of Dip Bars: How to Choose What’s Right for You
So, now you know why you might choose to get a dip bar. Next comes the hard part, which one do you pick? A dip bar for home can be hard to pick out because of the many options available on the market. There are a great variety of styles, all with their advantages and benefits. What will work best for you depends on your needs, goals and preferences for your dip bar for home.
Here are some of the most popular varieties and our recommendations on the best of each type of dip bar:
Pullup and Dip Bar: Versatility in Action
There are several popular models of pull up dip bar combination products on the market. With these products, you can enjoy maximum versatility since you can perform a range of exercises. Pullup and dip bar models allow you to perform dips, pullups, leg lifts and other exercises depending on the model. Here are some of the most popular styles in pull up dip bar designs:
This popular design has been produced by a number of companies. But, this model by Perfect Fitness is probably the best. It has reached the number 1 position on Amazon’s bestseller list for dip bars, and the number 6 position for pull-up bars. Users can do dips, push ups, sit-ups, and pull ups using this piece of equipment. Because it’s so simple to put together and install and it’s cheap to boot, the Multi-Gym Doorway Pull Up Bar is understandably popular.
- Withstands up to 300 lbs
- Comes in several designs
- Easy to install and store
- Great door frame guard protects your home from damage
- Very affordable. The price of the product ranged between $24.99 and $49.99 at the time this article was written.
Who Makes It
Perfect Fitness is a popular fitness equipment brand sold at retailers like Walmart, Dick’s Sporting Goods and is of course also available on Amazon. The brand is owned by Implus, LLC, a large footwear, athletic and outdoors accessories provider. Perfect Fitness was founded by a former Navy SEAL who is passionate about functional training.
The Bottom Line
While it won’t allow a very deep dip, this piece of equipment is very affordable, strong and functional. It can easily be stored, installed on the door frame for use, or used for dips. As far as dip bars go, it’s one of the best choices for its versatility and value for money.
The power tower or “chair” is a popular piece of gym equipment that any fitness enthusiast will want to have in their home. Allowing users to perform a plethora of exercises, the power tower is great for pull ups, dips, leg and knee raises and deep pushups. The versatility offered is second to none. Sturdy and adjustable for the height of your preference, the power tower by Ainfox is a great dip bar choice.
- Capacity of up to 550 lbs
- Made of reinforced steel
- Adjustable size
- Reasonable price: about $120 at the time this article was written
Who Makes It
Ainfox is a company that sells a range of products. Upon further inspection of customer images, it’s clear that the power tower is “Crystal Sport” brand. Ainfox also sells their products at Walmart where they receive good reviews. However, there’s not a lot of information readily available on this brand or on the Crystal Sport brand.
The Bottom Line
This pull up dip bar design is solid and allows for a wide range of exercises to be performed. For a very reasonable cost, this solid piece of equipment delivers. With this pull up dip bar, you can perform a wide range of exercises and it’s easy to set up in your home. While it’s not exactly portable, it is sturdy. It’s easy to see how this tower has reached the number 4 position on the Amazon bestseller list for “dip bar”.
DIY Dip Bar
Are you a DIY enthusiast? If you like projects and want to try to make your own gym equipment, then a DIY dip bar could offer the perfect challenge for your next project. There are many different ways to make your own dip bar. Some people have made them out of wood, while others use PVC pipes.
If you’re handy with DIY projects and you want to give it a try, you might consider trying this fairly simple PVC DIY dip bar. The video below explains exactly how to put together your very own dip station.
In addition to the above PVC pipe type of DIY dip bar, there are others made of wood, steel and other materials. This wood option presented by Instructables offers another type of DIY dip bars that’s also sturdy, easy to make and affordable.
Portable Dip Bar
Want to be able to take your dip bar anywhere you go? Take these portable dip bar products to the park, on vacation, or anywhere you’d like. Despite the fact that they’re portable, some of the options on the market are still quite sturdy, meaning you can exercise with confidence. Here are some of the best portable dip bar products:
This dip bar is easy to use, strong and is also easily collapsible. It’s easy to see why it’s earned the distinction of being “Amazon’s Choice” for dip bar. Made of quality materials and featuring a simple design, this dip bar allows a few exercises to be performed. Users can perform tricep and chest dips, body weight rows, as well as knee raises. Given the reasonable price, this station offers great value.
- Weight limit of 350 lbs.
- Made of steel
- Collapsible design for portability
- Reasonable Price: $89.95 at the time this article was written
Who Makes It
Ultimate Body Press is a fitness equipment company that aims to produce affordable products for use in the home. Their products are sold exclusively on Amazon or through the company’s official website. In addition to gear and equipment, Ultimate Body Press also sells workout guides that go along with their equipment.
The Bottom Line
For a reasonable price, you can purchase this very portable dip bar that can easily be tucked away in a closet or transported to wherever you’d like to exercise. While not the most versatile dip bar, it does allow for a number of exercises to be performed. The positive customer reviews inspire confidence. This product is a great choice for those who want portability and a stable dip bar for a reasonable price.
This product differs from the other dip bar products in that there are two separate bars that can be adjusted. Ranking in the number 3 bestseller spot for dip stands on Amazon, this dip bar is a popular item. The product comes with a DVD featuring workout tips and exercises you can perform on the bars. In addition, there are two different sizes are available for purchase adequate for customers of all heights.
- Maximum weight capacity of 400 lbs
- Made of stainless steel
- Two separate bars for easy adjustment and portability
- Reasonable Price: between $99.98 and $129 depending on the size and color at the time this article was written
Who Makes It
A fitness equipment company began by Marc Lebert, Lebert is a Canadian company. Their products are carried and sold by a number of online sellers including FitnessFactory.com and Amazon among others. The company’s products have great Amazon reviews, which shows that the company produces quality equipment.
The Bottom Line
If having control over the width of the dip bars is important to you, consider the Lebert Equalizer. For a reasonable price, you can enjoy using these quality bars that offer stability combined with flexibility of width. This product is also highly portable and can easily be transported.
How to Pick a Quality Dip Bar: Your Complete Checklist
Now that you’re more familiar with dip bar products you can make a more informed choice about which dip bar might be best for you. We’ve created a summary of the most important factors for choosing a quality dip bar that will fit your needs perfectly:
- Budget: One of your first considerations should be your budget. As you’ve seen in this article, most dip bars cost between $80-100. However, there are also a few budget options that fall in the $25-50 range. If you have a larger budget, you’ll obviously have more options. However, with a limited budget, you’ll have to choose carefully or go with a DIY option, which can often be cheaper.
- Fitness Goals: If your main goal is performing dip exercises, you may want to avoid the door frame model. This model only allows for a shallow dip, although it does allow for pull ups. The best choice for a very versatile dip station that allows many different exercises is probably the power tower. The other dip bars such as the Ultimate Body Press and Lebert also allow for several different exercises to be performed, but are not quite as versatile as the power tower.
- Material: Pay close attention to the material that is used to create the dip bar. Ideally, you want to see steel, as this will offer greater strength. Also pay attention to things like rubber grips, which will make using the equipment more comfortable. Another important point to investigate is the width of the bars. If you have large hands or prefer a large grip, make sure the dip bar will accommodate your grip.
- Portable or Not: Is portability important to you? Portable dip bars are also the ones that are usually easy to tuck away in a closet. The power tower, for example, won’t allow this. However, the doorframe pull up and dip bar is easy to move, but can’t be set up outdoors.
- Weight: Finally, make sure that you weigh less than the maximum weight limit for best results.
Exercises to Do with a Dip Bar
- Tricep Dips: This basic exercise is why many people purchase dip bar equipment. To perform dips, grasp the dip bars in either hand. Allow your legs to hang, knees bent back. If you’re using the doorframe model, you’ll have your legs straight out in front of you, resting on the floor. Then, lower your body, bending your elbows at a 90 degree angle and pull back up. Don’t dip below the 90 degree angle, as it will put unnecessary stress on your shoulders. Repeat the exercise.
- Knee Lifts: Many dip bar products allow you to perform this basic exercise that’s great for your core. Grasp the two dip bars and hold your body upright, arms straight. Your legs should be hanging, knees bent. If you’re using the power tower, you can “sit” in the chair. Then, pull your knees up so that your abdomen and knees make a 90 degree angle. Slowly lower your legs again and repeat. Make sure that you keep the movement controlled and avoid swinging your legs or using momentum rather than your muscles.
- Body Weight Rows: Not all dip bar products allow this exercise. However, for those that do, it’s a great chest and arms workout. To perform this exercise, lie under the dip bars and grasp both bars. The bars should run parallel to your body. Your legs should be straight out in front of you and your feet can rest on the ground while you perform the exercise. Then, pull your chest and body up, bending your knees. Your arms should be at a 90 degree angle upon completing the exercise. Then, extend your arms again, lowering your body just until your back touches the ground. Repeat the exercise, which is a bit like an upside-down push-up.
For the best results, perform these exercises in combination with some cardio on your home elliptical machine or head out for a jog.
The Bottom Line on Purchasing and Using a Dip Bar
A quality dip bar is a great investment for your home gym. Once you find the perfect product for your preferences and needs, you’ll be glad to add this valuable equipment to your home gym. There are many exercises that can be done with this type of equipment that will build your strength and help you grow.
By evaluating your needs and preferences carefully ahead of your purchase, you can be sure that you’ll be satisfied with what you get. Then, it’s time to get exercising and make use of the dip bar as a part of your fitness routine. Before you know it you’ll have killer triceps and a strong chest.
Do you have a dip bar you love? Or perhaps you made one yourself? Tell us about your favorite dip bar and why you love it in the comments below.