Our parents tell us all the time growing up, “Be careful who you’re friends with.” They only want what is best for us. However, this classic advice has been echoed by some of the wisest minds for years! We are the company we keep, and it can affect our attitude, behavior, mindset, and actions.
To help remind you of the importance of friendship, we compiled 25 quotes that talk about the company you keep. You can be judged by their actions or they can be a bad influence. The company you keep can also be a positive influence! That’s why sports teams want people with strong character.
Whenever you are struggling with a difficult situation, we hope you come back to these to remind you to stick with your great friends. We hope you enjoy these encouraging quotes!
You Are the Company You Keep Quotes
- “Tell me with whom you associate, and I will tell you who you are.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- “A mirror reflects a man’s face, but what he is really like is shown by the kind of friends he chooses.” -Colin Powell
- “You’re the average of the five people spend the most time with” -Jim Rohn
- “Be as careful of the books you read, as of the company you keep, for your habits and character will be as much influenced by the former as the latter.” -Edwin Paxton Hood
- “Your enlightenment depends on the company you keep. You do not know the world until you know the men who have possessed it and tried its wares before you were ever given your brief run upon it.” -Woodrow Wilson
- “Tell me who you walk with, and I’ll tell you who you are.” -Esmeraldo Santiago
- “Beware of the company you keep. See that you associate with the right type of people.” Dada Vaswani
- “Solitude is a condition best enjoyed in company.” Eleanor Catton
- “Misery and joy are very contagious, so be mindful of the company you keep.” -Christine Syzmanski
- “Some people around us are energy vampires while others are energy boosters. Our bodies resonate like a tuning fork, that’s why their vibration impacts our own vibration.” -Hina Hashmi
- “Be aware of the company you keep. You’d be surprised how easily they rub off on you. You don’t want to attract the wrong influence.” -Amaki Imani Nkosazana
You Will Be Judged by The Company You Keep Quotes
- “You are not responsible for what your friends do, but you will be judged by the company you keep.” -Leonard Cole
- “The principle difference between heaven and hell is the company you keep there.” -Lois McMaster Bujold
- “When you walk with trash, you end up smelling the same.” -Anthony Liccione
- “You are known by the company you keep.” -Heather Dubrow
- “Some would argue that you’re as successful as the company you keep. Certainly, there is a connection between our friends and who we are.” -Simon Sinek
Company You Keep Sayings
- “The key is to keep company only with people whop uplift you, whose presence calls forth your best.” -Epictetus
- “You are who you are by virtue of the company you keep.” -T.B. Joshua
- “As your life evolves, so should your circle.” -Izey Victoria Odiase
- “It is better to be alone than in bad company.” -Anonymous
- “You got to be careful of the company you keep.” -Dave Chappelle
- “Tell me who your enemy is, and I will tell you who you are.” -Carl Schmitt
- “Don’t waste time with toxic people. They will drain your energy and leave you feeling as if you did something wrong to harm them.” -Germany Kent
- “Keep not ill men company, lest you increase the number.” -George Herbert
- “Always keep good company. Never waste an hour with anyone who doesn’t lift you up and encourage you.” -Spencer Kimball
Did you find a quote that hit home? Any friends you think of when reading these, hopefully in a positive way? We hope these quotes brought some encouragement and wisdom into your life.
Are there any that we left out? Maybe talk to the company that you keep and share this article with them. Feel free to comment any quotes that you thought of below!